Totally Under Control is the name of two recent works:
- A new documentary film that was released yesterday, and
- a print comic and motion comic.
While they were created by completely unrelated teams, both are about the Trump administration’s coronavirus response, and both take their name from a statement by Donald Trump made on January 22, in which he downplayed the novel coronavirus:
“We have it totally under control.”
The Totally Under Control documentary film
I’m watching the Totally Under Control documentary as I write this post, and I’ll write more later. In the meantime, here’s some information and links.
Here’s the trailer for the documentary:
The film is currently available on Amazon Prime and Apple TV.
Here’s a review of the documentary by Breakfast All Day:
The latest episode of the Daily Beast’s podcast, The New Abnormal, features an interview with director Alex Gibney about the film, how he made it, and what he learned in the process.
The Totally Under Control comic
Insider posted the comic on September 14th. You can read it online…
…or you can watch it in motion comic form below:
Yes, I wrote about The Daily Show’s Heroes of the Pandumbic video back in April — a mere four months ago — but it’s worth watching again, considering that:
- As of today, August 6, 2020, the United States has had a grand total of 4.8 million cases of COVID-19. That number represents almost 54,000 more cases than the previous day.
- Florida’s total number of cases is over the half-million mark at 510,389. That number represents an additional 7,650 cases.
- The death toll for the US as of August 6, 2020 is 157,631, which represents an increase of 1,320 from the previous day.
- Back in March, Trump said that keeping the number of coronavirus deaths to 100,000 would be “a very good job”.
Actually, a lot of stuff about the Pony Express has been exaggerated and romanticized — but it’s still interesting stuff.
It’s also misspelled.
Thanks to Dawn Allison Brown for the find!