The city of Tampa’s new Tampa Together video does feature a lot of Mayor Bob Buckhorn tooting his own horn*, but it also sings the praises of a city with a lot going for it, and a lot of potential. As I write this, it has a mere 796 views, and I think we can give it a lot more love.
* When a shameless self-promoter like me says someone’s tooting their own horn, that really means something. But hey, he’s a damn sight better than my last mayor!
The video also presents a lot of factoids about Tampa. I’m going to fact-check them and link to the sources, but in the meantime, here’s the list:
- Tampa led the state of Florida in job creation for 3 of the past 6 years.
- Forbes listed Tampa in its top 10 fastest growing cities list.
- Fortune says that Tampa is one of the hottest cities for startups.
- The Brookings Institution (a think tank that does research and education in the social sciences, primarily in economics, metropolitan policy, governance, foreign policy, and global economy, and development) calls the Tampa Bay area a top metro for growth, prosperity, and inclusion.
- Wallethub.com calls Tampa one of the most fun cities in the U.S., a top city for an active lifestyle, and a top ten place for veterans to live in.
- GoBankingRates.com says Tampa is a top ten place to invest in real estate.
- Tampa was home to the 2017 college football playoff national championship.
- The U.S. Conference of Mayors calls Tampa one of the nation’s fastest-growing economies.
- Commercial real estate lender Colliers International says Tampa is one of the hottest industrial markets in the country.
- Thrillist says that Tampa is one of the best cities for creatives to live in.