Boss Ross has declared that we are far enough out of stealth mode for me to use my powers as Tucows’ TC/DC (Technical Community Development Coordinator) and actually say what language the developers are using to write this pretty cool blogging tool called Blogware…
Some of you might right now be cocking your head to one side. Ru-what? If you’re one of these people, Ruby is:
- A complete, full, pure object oriented language. Even the number 1 is an instance of class Fixnum.
- Flexible and dynamic. It’s both dynamic (no need to declare variables) and strongly typed (types are checked at runtime). What to add methods to a class at runtime? No prob. Want to add methods to an instance at runtime? Once again, No prob.
- A language with a nice clean, consistent syntax
- Open source
For more detailed information, check out the following:
- What’s Ruby? from the Ruby language web site
- Ruby author Yukihiro Mastumoto’s foreword to Programming Ruby
- The Wikipedia entry for Ruby
Ruby is on the list of languages I’m actively learning, and I’ll be documenting my experiences and other Ruby-related news here.