I don’t think the word perquisite gets used enough. You probably know the shortened form of the word: “perk”, as in bonus, privilege, advantage or “extra”. Here are the perquisites that come with a job at Shopify:
Sweet gear! Working at Shopify means a return to the Mac and startup worlds with the following equipment, which is standard issue for all new employees:
- 15″ MacBook Pro. The current spec for this machine is 2.2 GHz quad-core i7 processor, 4 GB RAM, 1GB VRAM, 750 GB hard drive. And at last, the trackpad knows what a right-click is!
- 27″ LED Cinema Display. Gorgeous. Just gorgeous.
- Apple Wireless Keyboard. Compact, connects via Bluetooth.
- Apple Magic Mouse. The first Apple mouse I’ve liked in a really long time. Feels nice, knows the difference between a left- and right-click, 4-way touch sensitive scrolling that feels much better than Microsoft’s Arc Touch mouse. (I love the Arc Mouse, but don’t like the Arc Touch.)
- Herman Miller Aeron Chair. Yes, it’s the classic symbol of the dot-com bubble, but it’s a very, very comfortable chair. The only thing that loves your butt more is that guy from Deliverance.
- The bag o’ stuff. I’ll cover what’s in it below.
What’s in the bag o’ stuff? Extra goodies to make you feel welcome:
- Shopify hoodie. Light grey with the Shopify logo on the left. Very warm and fuzzy on the inside.
- T-shirts. One light grey sporting a grey monochrome Shopify logo, one dark grey with the green Shopify logo. Both are American Apparel, which means they’re extra-soft.
- Moleskine notebook. Because sometimes ink and paper is the best way to take something down.
- Neat pen. A Sacchi ballpoint pen, to be precise.
- Godiva chocolates. It’s a nice touch.
- $50 Apple Store gift card. An even nicer touch. The Apple Store in Ottawa is in the Rideau Centre, a short walk away from the office.
- $100 gift card for Play and Beckta restaurants. Still even nicer. Both are great restaurants — Harley took me out to Play for lunch on my first day. Now to find someone to take out to dinner.
- The Shopify Handbook (not pictured), which I’ll cover in the next blog entry.
All in all, very, very nice.