Calvin and Hobbes — Off the Ritalin and High on Life!

by Joey deVilla on January 9, 2008

A number of readers found yesterday’s “Calvin and Hobbes on Ritalin” comic depressing. Luckily, I have a follow-up. Hope this makes you feel better…

Calvin and Hobbes — Off the Ritalin and high on life

Ziyu December 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm

This second one would have been much better if there was internal debate within Calvin, showing Hobbes alive and all his alter egos. Hobbes should ask Calvin what he chooses. Only after deep thought should Calvin reinstate Hobbes’s reality. That or the parents have to go through a long guilt trip before taking Calvin off the medication.

LaMont December 20, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Truth is… you can’t please everybody. This guy used Watterson’s creation to make a point, I doubt he’s trying to take over the strip. No one knows what Watterson would have done, not even himself, until he’s done it. Relax. He may not have every thought about putting Calvin on anything. I believe he simply wanted to convey his idea of what a child with an active imagination could be capable of and the joy of having an imagination.

I believe the guy that did this strip made a point in showing how this issue needs to be looked at by using an image that we all grew to love and how sad it would be to lose just that part of him. Face it, Hobbes will one day take a back seat in Calvin’s life as he grows up. Throwing snowballs at girls will turn to kisses. No one ever said that Calvin was an hyperactive child with A.D.D. and in need of any medication. The fact that he’s a beloved comic-strip character, his childhood will last forever and so will the joy of his imagination (Hobbes).

The first strip was rather saddening… it would have been befitting of a final work… albeit a dark one. The second did come off as bit of a “cop-out”, but I don’t think he intended to make everyone that read the first to get so bent out of shape either.

LONG LIVE CALVIN & HOBBES AND ALL OUR CHILDHOOD WAYS!!! :)

Andrew July 11, 2011 at 10:02 am

woooo after seeing this i feel a whole lot better about calvin and hobbes :D

Paule November 16, 2011 at 12:32 pm

@ Ziyou: I don´t think so. I think everything that happens within Calvin don´t have to be said, or better is said in this few panels in a perfect way… But that´s just my opinion.

Noni Rai December 14, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Depressing ?? not to me ! If anything it shows a happy ending.Everyone should have a hobbes.
Biggest Calvin and Hobbes Fan

Joseph March 12, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Beautiful…just amazing I am a huge calvin and Hobbes fan and this is amazing even though it is fake and it goes to show that the friendship between Calvin and Hobbes is unbreakable even by drugs.

John Perkins March 17, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I have to agree with Lamont. Very well said.

yuni October 16, 2012 at 10:21 am

I think that it should have been more like Calvin got done with his work, looked at Hobbes and said, all done! Let’s go! Showing that when you have true imagination, medicine only makes you focus, not forget. :)

Sonam Tamang February 2, 2013 at 2:41 am

well they have the one of the best part of my life….

Denny Jackson March 7, 2013 at 11:58 am

What next? Are we going to see Hobbes slowly lose Calvin to “reality” as he fades into the nightmare world of personality destruction through drug dosing to cure the imaginary disease of ADD/ADHD/whatever, otherwise known as being a little boy with a fantastic imagination and a lot of energy? Will we be treated to zombie Calvin finally snapping and going to school one day to murder as many of his classmates as he can, maybe after butchering his parents because they put him on these monstrous medications?

I’m at a loss to understand what would motivate anyone to make a cartoon out of child abuse, which is what the administration of Ritalin and the other psychotropic drugs to children certainly is. This is not funny, it’s sick.