Another Old-School-Style Canadian Club Ad: “Your Dad Was Not a Metrosexual”

by Joey deVilla on December 30, 2007

Thumbnail image of Canadian Club ad “Your Mom Wasn’t Your Dad’s First”

Back in October, I posted an image of a Canadian Club ad whose design evoked the early 1960’s titled Your Mom Wasn’t Your Dad’s First. The ad used photos that had been Photoshopped to have that old “Kodachrome” look and featured models dressed and made up in the style of the time and featured this text:

He went out. He got two numbers in the same night. He drank cocktails, but they were whiskey cocktails. Made with Canadian Club. Served in a rocks glass. They tasted good. They were effortless. DAMN RIGHT YOUR DAD DRANK IT.

Looks like they’re running with the theme:

Canadian Club ad: “Your Dad Was Not a Metrosexual”
Click to see the ad at full size.
Image courtesy of Miss Fipi Lele.

A couple of thoughts:

• Why didn’t the advertising agency for Crown Royal, my rye of choice, come up with this concept?
  • Lookin’ forward to the next ads, which I hope bear titles like:
    • Your Dad Knew How to Use a Slide Rule
    • Your Dad Never Told a Girl He Had a Betty Crocker “Easy-Bake” Oven as a Kid Just to Get Some Play*
    • Your Dad Never Cried After Sex

* I actually witnessed this during my DJ shift at Clark Hall Pub at Crazy Go Nuts University. I hope it was worth it, dude.

Grace Nearing December 31, 2007 at 1:48 am

Visually, I think the ads are great. The concept comes undone, though, with the use of “whisky cocktails.” “Cocktails” is irredeemably non-guy.

RichM December 31, 2007 at 8:43 am

“Your dad never used the Standard Template Library. FORTRAN IV all the way, jocko. He threw down whisky. Neat. It went down bitter, but he liked it like that.”

Rohan Jayasekera January 2, 2008 at 2:05 am

He drank Canadian Club. And any other kind of whisky. And any kind of beer. Alcohol tasted good. And getting drunk was effortless. Where do you think you came from? DAMN RIGHT YOUR DAD DRANK.

Rob MacD January 18, 2008 at 10:03 am

Thanks for posting these, Joey. I share some thoughts back at my own little blog.

professionalism September 1, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Finally some ads that are “manly” and not gay/metro or apologetic. Ads that speak to men and to women through men.

I do not even drink, but I am seriously considering buying this just to support the ads.

S.M. Smith January 22, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I happen to be in one of the photos, they are originals, not photo-shopped.

Nora July 23, 2009 at 7:37 pm

How did you publish a picture of my father without his permission?
My attorney will be contacting you!