This rejected New Yorker cartoon might just be the best New Yorker cartoon of all time

by Joey deVilla on October 20, 2014

i have an enormous favor to ask you

This rejected New Yorker comic comes from The Best of the Rejection Collection: 293 Cartoons That Were Too Dumb, Too Dark, or Too Naughty for The New Yorker, and was created by Harry Bliss. It would’ve been one of their most-recirculated had it been approved — maybe even bigger than this one.

If you don’t get the joke, ask anyone who has a dog. And in case you were wondering, the proper response for such a question — unless you’ve got some really relaxed boundaries (and hey, more power to you) — is “I’m your friend, but I’m not that friend.”

Thanks to Inside Hook for the find!

JBThomas October 21, 2014 at 5:47 am

Great philosophy BUT I NEED MORE INFORMATION!

JBThomas October 21, 2014 at 5:58 am

Well – I DO remember ZOMBIES! First had one in 1953 on the deck of a small cruiser in/on Long Island Sound and it was so-o-o good that the afternoon just spun by! Anyone remember how to make them? I doubt that they’re in Julia Child’s cook book – THAT I STILL HAVE – I think!

Gordon Geise October 21, 2014 at 6:55 pm

In re the trope that every New Yorker cartoon can be made funnier with the caption “Christ, what an asshole”: Give it 20 seconds.

Adam Carr October 22, 2014 at 3:40 am

It should be “to ask of you.”

Gary Mortensen October 22, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Please credit the cartoonist!

Dave October 23, 2014 at 12:31 pm

A dogs life

Star Carlton October 23, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Good One !

Jane October 24, 2014 at 12:41 am

Hilarious!

Harry Bliss October 25, 2014 at 12:06 am

I agree, but it’s my cartoon, so I’m biased. You should give credit to the artist though, seems appropriate…

HBliss

Lynn Nolan October 26, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Okay, I’m a dog owner, and I don’t get it. One dog can’t take a cone off of another.

Happy November 4, 2014 at 5:59 pm

So funny. Love it. By the way, this was a Harry Bliss cartoon and deserves a credit.

Bruce Arthurs November 4, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I hope Lynn’s answer was facetious, or that she’s been a dog owner for, like, an hour.

Sunday School answer: The collared dog is asking the un-collared dog for assistance in grooming itself.

Polite Society answer: The collared dog is unable to reach its more distant body parts with its tongue.

Vulgar answer: “DUDE, I CAN’T LICK MY OWN BUTT! HELP ME, DUDE, HELP ME!!!”

Cara November 5, 2014 at 12:15 pm

BRAVO, BRUCE ARTHURS!!!!

christopher x brodeur September 25, 2015 at 9:12 pm

FUN FACT:
about 7 of my arrests and illegal torturings in RIKERS were for… MY CARTOONS.

(Giuliani and Bloomberg correctly saw my cartoons as Dangerous Weapons, b/c everyone loves cartoons.) (They say cartoons are what ended Tammany Hall’s reign of corruption.)

SCARY FACT:
100% of my fellow NYC cartoonists QUIETLY helped these Goliaths HIDE that I was jailed for cartoons, and the major papers ALL spread pure lies about me and my false arrests (because Rudy Bloomborg stole over $20 billion from Mass Transit funds and gave it to the Media Moguls in exchange for 20 years of LIES to keep NYC under Republican rule).

Even my OWN EDITORS at NYPress would NOT allow me to tell our readers that a sick Bourne Ultimatum NYPD RAID was done on my house… a mere three days after I did the most devastating COVER STORY ever on The Billionaire Media Mogul. (I even included a cartoon of me being jailed for exposing the mayor’s crimes!)

(It was all for naught: a few months later the paper was MYSTERIOUSLY BOUGHT and we were ALL fired (hm!) because we were the ONLY thorn in the unified front of “Bloomberg Is The Greatest Mayor Ever!” spin by all “left” and “right” wing papers.) (No one thought it odd that BOTH the Times and Post said he was the greatest mayor ever??)

(I bet you can guess who replaced all of us writers and editors. Yup: 100% “Bloomberg Is The Greatest Mayor EVER” cheerleaders!) (Today, these same cheerleaders NOW admit Bloomberg murdered NYC permanently. EX: Harry Siegel, who is now at the Daily News [although he’s about to be fired].)

The ONLY THING sicker than being tortured in Rikers for political cartoons, was that 100% of Civil Libertarians ALL united to protect their enemy, the Naked Emperor.

And TODAY, all my fellow cartoonists and journalists MUST continue to cover these scandals up… b/c otherwise THEY look like accomplices. Sigh.

Mila September 26, 2015 at 9:06 am

So great, but credit the artist.

Randy A MacDonald September 26, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Is his name Timex?

Laurared September 28, 2015 at 8:51 am

They should have called the book, ‘No One Knows You’re a Dog’!

ig May 13, 2016 at 2:23 am

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism
or copyright infringement? My website has a lot of unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it looks
like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my
agreement. Do you know any ways to help
reduce content from being stolen? I’d truly appreciate it.

B0ris April 3, 2017 at 1:09 am

@Adam Carr – give the dog some credit for learning English as well as he has!