66 "Choose Your Own Adventure" Book Covers

by Joey deVilla on March 13, 2006

Someone who goes by the handle of “bluechemist” posted this collection that takes me back to my youth: a composite scan of 66 covers from the old Choose Your Own Adventure series of books. I loved these books. They inspired the first computer game I ever wrote, New York Subway, my first serious foray into programming using the BASIC programming language as well as into telling tasteless jokes*. Really, really, really tasteless jokes (hey, I was 13). As my wife will tell you, I’m still programming and still telling tasteless jokes.

* No, the source code no longer exists in readable form: it’s on a TRS-80 cassette tape that has been lost to the ages.

Pictured below is a quick preview of the book covers. Click the image to see it at full size:

66 'Choose Your Own Adventure' book covers.

Bonus: Someone had the same idea I did and ran with it much farther. Brad: The Game is a very tasteless web game with all the Choose Your Own Adventure interactivity and all the New York Subway tastelessness (perhaps even more!). I’ve played it many times, and have ended up dead, joining the Greek Navy, found my pants and scored 72 times in a single night.

Anonymous March 13, 2006 at 3:42 pm

I read like half of those books. Oh, the memories!

Anonymous March 14, 2006 at 7:59 am

Dude. I LOVED those books. As I recall, in “Inside UFO 54-40″ there was a certain scenario I just couldn’t get to, so I read all the pages consecutively, searching for the way to get to one of the outcomes, and sure enough, there wasn’t a way to get there.

I seem to recall crying about that.

Anonymous March 14, 2006 at 2:33 pm

Thanks for the nostalgia hit Joey, that’s a great image. I found a pretty thorough index with all of the summaries and individual images at http://www.gamebooks.org/show_series.php?name=Choose+Your+Own+Adventure, enjoy.

Joe Mahoney March 12, 2008 at 1:18 pm

The dude on the cover of Deadwood City actually looks a bit like Ian McShane

Andre March 20, 2008 at 4:17 am

I also loved those books ! I also had about half of them and would have bought more if I could find them. Oh man the memories…

colby July 3, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Love them!

David McFee March 2, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I can confirm the UFO54-40 story. I did he same thing. I used read a few scenarios, then I’d search for the best route that had the most successful ending. The best ending in 54-40 was unattainable. Damn you ‘Choose Your Own Adventure’!