The Cure for Our Cold Weather: Sausage Gravy!

by Joey deVilla on January 12, 2009

The temperatures predicted for later this week in Accordion City don’t look terribly promising:

Screen capture from the Weather Network site showing high and low temperatures for latter part of week: Wed -14C/-19C, Thu -16C/-21C, Fri -11C/-21C, Sat -9C/-16C, Sun -7C/-14C

As a point of reference for my American readers, –11 degrees C, the average daytime temperature over these 5 days, is 12 degrees F. –18 degrees C, the average nighttime temperature over these 5 days, is 0 degrees F.

There is something that can help, but unfortunately, it’s not available in Canada. I’m talking about Bob Evans biscuits and gravy, complete with sausage gravy dispenser:

Food counter at a convenience store with Bob Evans sausage gravy dispenser

Why, oh why, don’t our 7-11 stores stock this stuff? I love biscuits and gravy. If it were socially acceptable (that is, if The Missus would let me), I’d spend my day sitting in a tub of it.

scruss January 12, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Yeah, but Bob Evans’ portions are hilariously large. You could survive the weekend on leftovers.

Biscuits are pretty easy and quick to make. Shame we can’t make good white gravy to save ourselves in Canada.

The Missus January 12, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Frankly, the biscuit dispenser disturbs me more than the gravy one (perhaps because gravy is at least semi-liquid, or perhaps because I like biscuits).

I don’t know why, but white gravy gives me the willies.

Luke Francl January 12, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Wow, that is one of the most disturbing images I have ever seen.

Rohan Jayasekera January 12, 2009 at 3:13 pm

If you do it at work, and don’t blog or tweet about it, The Missus won’t know.

I’m presuming that Microsoft has tubs, of course. If it doesn’t, you could go to a cyberspa and work there.

sloot January 12, 2009 at 4:48 pm

whenever I hear about biscuits and gravy, I can’t help but think of White Cowbell Oklahoma

Paul` January 12, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Need one of those …… I could put gravy on my TPS Report…. 🙂

Joey deVilla January 12, 2009 at 6:08 pm

@Paul: In that case, “TPS” would be short for “Tasty Pork Sausages”!

chiamattt January 12, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I love that it says “Start your day right!”

Mo January 13, 2009 at 11:03 am

Woah! That’s spectacular. I think every major artery in my body just got a little nervous.

Natalie January 13, 2009 at 4:09 pm

The idea of biscuits and gravy always sounded so appealing to me until I realized that the “gravy” was some sort of gooey white stuff. To me, “gravy” implies some sort of tasty meat juice is involved.

Joey deVilla January 13, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Natalie: The gravy in “biscuits and gravy” is often sausage gravy, which means it’s got cut-up bits of sausage and plenty of sausage juice.

(Hey, “Sausage Juice” should be the name of my next band…)

whoseamerica January 13, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Sausage gravy is made from the sausage grease you get from frying it, flour, salt and pepper. Brown the flour and then add milk and cook a little longer.

Do you all not have Hardees in Canada? Their biscuits and gravy are just like southern cooking. the best. http://mytownmyhardees.com/

Jes January 30, 2009 at 4:54 pm