Countries That Don’t Use the Metric System

by Joey deVilla on August 13, 2008

Of all the countries in the world, only three backwaters still use the archaic Imperial system of weights and measures:
Map highlighting countries that don't use the metric system

I say we let them get some decent governments first, then worry about getting them on the metric system.

Remember, folks: this was posted back in 2008, when George W. Bush was president. I lived in Canada, and the time, and that the “let them get some decent governments first” line was a poke at “Dubya”.

Also worth reading

king henry's foot

Be sure to check out this follow-up article: More on America and the metric system.

NEIL CAMERON / 6443 October 10, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I LIVED IN EUROPE FOR ELEVEN YEARS, MOSTLY IN GERMANY, AND AM WELL FAMILIAR WITH ALL ASPECTS OF THE METRIC SYSTEM.

I HAVE BEEN BACK IN THE STATES NOW FOR 38 YEARS AND OF COURSE AM NOW USING THE INCH-FOOT-YARD-MILE-PINT-QUART-GALLON-OUNCE-POUND-TON SYSTEM THAT GENERALLY PREVAILS HERE, NOT TO MENTION THE FAHRENHEIT TEMPERATURE SCALE. I PREFERRED THE U.S. ARCHAIC SYSTEM BEFORE I LIVED IN EUROPE, AND STILL PREFER IT NOW THAT I HAVE RETURNED TO THE UNITED STATES.

I FIND IT INTERESTING WHAT VULGAR, RUDE, AND FILTHY LANGUAGE SOME OF THOSE WHO POST COMMENTS HERE FEEL FREE TO USE IN A PUBLIC FORUM. WHILE SUCH LANGUAGE MAY INDICATE THE STRONG NATURE OF THEIR OPINIONS AND FEELINGS, IT IS MORE LIKELY A MEASURE OF THE POVERTY OF THEIR VOCABULARY AND THE LOW LIMITS OF THEIR MENTAL ABILITIES.

NEIL CAMERON / 6443

Peach October 16, 2015 at 9:01 pm

That would have come across a lot better if it hadn’t been in all caps, which is effectively yelling.

That aside …

Some of us are simply adept at arithmetic and can actually do conversions, so we usually find better things to whinge about. Well, until we head for the pub, because UK pints are bigger than US pints, and you’d better not be shortchanging us by serving those US things. Then it’s bloodsport.

Metric makes more sense unless you have 12 fingers. And good grief, have you seen how many standards there are for knitting needles? The only one that is unambiguous is metric. A “Size 5 Needle” could be US size 5, UK size 5, or whatever the hell China uses. “3.75 mm”–that’s the same everywhere.

Knitting matters to me. And I’m old and cranky. Get off my lawn.

One last question:

The one-pound, 24-karat gold macaroni noodle that Kraft foods is giving away: Is that an Imperial pound or a Troy pound? Gold is measured in Troy ounces, and a Troy pound is smaller than an Imperial one.

So if anyone asks you “What weighs more: A pound of feathers or a pound of gold?” … it’s the feathers. Different pounds. Now you’re a pub trivia genius.

Why are you still on my lawn? Get off my lawn.

Anonymous October 21, 2015 at 11:51 am

Why is it that so few of the people here have good grammar? It is because most of them are either in 30 and are upset about how they live in their parents basement due to an inability to get a good job because of their choice in higher education, or they are sniveling 13 year olds who are sitting in study hall at school, pretending to do school work, but instead wasting their parents/taxpayers money.

Metriccio October 27, 2015 at 11:21 am

It’s not about cultures or traditions. It’s about what makes sense. As science advances globally, a common and consolidaed system is necessary.
Here is a simple breakdown of the two systems:
In metric, one milliliter of water occupies one cubic centimeter, weighs one gram, requires one calorie of energy to raise its temrature by one degree, which is one percent of the difference between its freezing point and boiling point. An amount of hydrogen weighing the same amount has exactly one mole of atoms in it.
Whereas in the American system, the answer to “How much energy does it take to boil a room-temperature gallon of water?” is “Go fuck yourself” because you can’t relate any of those quantities.

FUCK THE WORLD November 5, 2015 at 12:04 pm

AMERICAAA. FUCK YEAH. COMING TO SAVE THE MOTHAFUCKING DAY YEAH. FUCK YOU BRITAIN WE GOT A FOOT FETISH AND WE AINT AFRAID TO ADMIT SO EAT IRAQI DICKS

JD November 19, 2015 at 2:05 pm

And nobody’s complaining about the fact that the smelly English limeys are driving on the left?

Anonymous December 9, 2015 at 11:23 pm

I’m from the USA myself, and I admit that most of the people here are obese idiots. But apart from that thought a lot of people are stupid here, and some are really fucking childish too. Yes, i agree we should change to the metric system, but when you start thinking you realize how much money that would be, it’s just a kind of stupid thing to do. All the road signs that say something like “San Francisco, one mile ahead” or something similar. If only the USA could’ve started before. And i do respect some others ideas, I just think it’s not worth it.

Jorden December 11, 2015 at 7:59 am

I am a American and metric is used in school and in scientific thing also products are packaged in metric containers labeled in both metric and American units

Monty burns December 20, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Well there are more for sure besides those three. First England really not just metric. They still use the stone for body weight all road signs are in miles and try ordering a liter of beer in a pub that’s still a pint ( milk and cider too). The country of Belize still uses the imperial system as well. So there are two more countries not on that list. Makes you wonder about the original writer and the lemmings who just follow along.
Monty

Monty burns is a retarded cunt January 3, 2016 at 9:55 am

Monty you dense fuck, It meant the official unit of measurement. We order a pint of beer in new zealand as well, but if you asked me what a foot was i would point down.

Germany would have Won February 18, 2016 at 4:17 pm

They would all be Eating German Dicks if it wasnt for us for fuck off let us use whatever we want. We dont try to tell you how to live your lives, all we do is save them

Tom February 28, 2016 at 12:29 am

Well, this thread deteriorated fast. We now see the cancer of society at its finest and this is how our country is quickly deteriorating, seriously.

With that said, I spent 7 years living overseas. At first, I had a hard time adjusting to the metric system but after acclimating to the units of measure I find it super easy to work with. Take building something for example, you can do all the calculations in your head without having to figure out fractions and translating to lowest common denominator. Working on equipment it’s easy to know what size up from a 9mm socket you need (10mm for the cancer). What the next size up from a 1/4″ socket or a 5/16″ inch socket?…yeah….unnecessary extra conversion required. Pretty easy to know freezing is 0C and boiling is 100C and calculate temperature variables .

rob March 19, 2016 at 1:58 am

Maybe I’m showing my age, but I was taught in both imperial and metric when at school. I can do most calculations of conversion in my head and have been able to since I was about 8. Either way doesn’t really bother me….although if I could order a litre of beer in the pub for the same price as a pint is now – good good (1.75 Pints = 1 Litre). However if it was the other way round (half litre for the same price) not so good (0.87 Pint = 0.5 Litre). 😉

will March 20, 2016 at 1:29 pm

Why do Americans think Brits all speak metric? We don’t. We speak a mixture of both. If someone tells me they were going 80kmph (which no1 ever would anyway its just for the sake of argument) then id have a rough idea of how fast they were going buy id be thinking how many mph is that as that’s what we Brits think in. We also by pints of beer and milk even though milk is labelled in ml but we don’t say “I’m off to get however ml 1 pint of milk is from the shop” we say I’m off to get a pint of milk. If measuring ourselves we say it in feet and inches although younger generations like me below 30 or so do understand meters as they have been drummed in to us. I for example know 6ft 2 is 188 cm. Oh and we also weigh ourselves in stones although I’m not very good at understanding pounds in large amounts. Don’t really here anyone say I’m 200lbs they say I’m 14 stone 7lbs or whatever it is. Anyway my point is made. Why would Brits work in any other way anyway seems they are the ones the imperial system originated with.

will March 20, 2016 at 1:38 pm

And yes I know how to spell i wrote it quickly is all. I know some jumped up moron is going to call me out on it so thought id defend myself before it happens

Joel Meyer March 30, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Belize also uses the Imperial system

Lavada April 7, 2016 at 4:20 am

One cited reference was used primarily (J. H. Miller, Chambliss,
& Bargeron, 2006).

Ryan April 17, 2016 at 4:30 pm

While it may seem to make sense for America to change to the metric system, do you have any idea how much that would cost to do? Seriously, every single distance and speed limit sign would have to be changed out. And that’s just one example. If you think of the price to switch, versus the positives of switching, it just doesn’t make sense. Unless the countries complaining about it want to cover the cost. Then I and many others would say hell yes, go for it. LOL

Jayson Rex April 25, 2016 at 8:04 am

Americans are very, very conservative. For this reason they kept the Imperial System. But soon, things will change. To this end, Americans must elect a true leader that will have the drive and the courage to take the nation, screaming and yelling, into the 21st century.

Deb May 20, 2016 at 12:40 pm

First of all, it’s is up to the citizens of the United States to decide what system they want to use. We are a recalcitrant nation full of dissenters. Perhaps you all have forgotten how this nation was formed. Also, perhaps you have forgotten who pulled the rest of the world out of the largest war this earth has ever faced. While the “progressive” European nations were struggling for their survival… you didn’t mind our gallons, pints and inches then. We will switch when we want to switch and not a moment sooner. No amount of European pressure is going to change us. It didn’t work in 1776 and it won’t work now.