Countries That Don’t Use the Metric System

by Joey deVilla on August 13, 2008

Of all the countries in the world, only three backwaters still use the archaic Imperial system of weights and measures:
Map highlighting countries that don't use the metric system

I say we let them get some decent governments first, then worry about getting them on the metric system.

Remember, folks: this was posted back in 2008, when George W. Bush was president. I lived in Canada, and the time, and that the “let them get some decent governments first” line was a poke at “Dubya”.

Also worth reading

king henry's foot

Be sure to check out this follow-up article: More on America and the metric system.

NEIL CAMERON / 6443 October 10, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I LIVED IN EUROPE FOR ELEVEN YEARS, MOSTLY IN GERMANY, AND AM WELL FAMILIAR WITH ALL ASPECTS OF THE METRIC SYSTEM.

I HAVE BEEN BACK IN THE STATES NOW FOR 38 YEARS AND OF COURSE AM NOW USING THE INCH-FOOT-YARD-MILE-PINT-QUART-GALLON-OUNCE-POUND-TON SYSTEM THAT GENERALLY PREVAILS HERE, NOT TO MENTION THE FAHRENHEIT TEMPERATURE SCALE. I PREFERRED THE U.S. ARCHAIC SYSTEM BEFORE I LIVED IN EUROPE, AND STILL PREFER IT NOW THAT I HAVE RETURNED TO THE UNITED STATES.

I FIND IT INTERESTING WHAT VULGAR, RUDE, AND FILTHY LANGUAGE SOME OF THOSE WHO POST COMMENTS HERE FEEL FREE TO USE IN A PUBLIC FORUM. WHILE SUCH LANGUAGE MAY INDICATE THE STRONG NATURE OF THEIR OPINIONS AND FEELINGS, IT IS MORE LIKELY A MEASURE OF THE POVERTY OF THEIR VOCABULARY AND THE LOW LIMITS OF THEIR MENTAL ABILITIES.

NEIL CAMERON / 6443

Peach October 16, 2015 at 9:01 pm

That would have come across a lot better if it hadn’t been in all caps, which is effectively yelling.

That aside …

Some of us are simply adept at arithmetic and can actually do conversions, so we usually find better things to whinge about. Well, until we head for the pub, because UK pints are bigger than US pints, and you’d better not be shortchanging us by serving those US things. Then it’s bloodsport.

Metric makes more sense unless you have 12 fingers. And good grief, have you seen how many standards there are for knitting needles? The only one that is unambiguous is metric. A “Size 5 Needle” could be US size 5, UK size 5, or whatever the hell China uses. “3.75 mm”–that’s the same everywhere.

Knitting matters to me. And I’m old and cranky. Get off my lawn.

One last question:

The one-pound, 24-karat gold macaroni noodle that Kraft foods is giving away: Is that an Imperial pound or a Troy pound? Gold is measured in Troy ounces, and a Troy pound is smaller than an Imperial one.

So if anyone asks you “What weighs more: A pound of feathers or a pound of gold?” … it’s the feathers. Different pounds. Now you’re a pub trivia genius.

Why are you still on my lawn? Get off my lawn.

Anonymous October 21, 2015 at 11:51 am

Why is it that so few of the people here have good grammar? It is because most of them are either in 30 and are upset about how they live in their parents basement due to an inability to get a good job because of their choice in higher education, or they are sniveling 13 year olds who are sitting in study hall at school, pretending to do school work, but instead wasting their parents/taxpayers money.

Metriccio October 27, 2015 at 11:21 am

It’s not about cultures or traditions. It’s about what makes sense. As science advances globally, a common and consolidaed system is necessary.
Here is a simple breakdown of the two systems:
In metric, one milliliter of water occupies one cubic centimeter, weighs one gram, requires one calorie of energy to raise its temrature by one degree, which is one percent of the difference between its freezing point and boiling point. An amount of hydrogen weighing the same amount has exactly one mole of atoms in it.
Whereas in the American system, the answer to “How much energy does it take to boil a room-temperature gallon of water?” is “Go fuck yourself” because you can’t relate any of those quantities.

FUCK THE WORLD November 5, 2015 at 12:04 pm

AMERICAAA. FUCK YEAH. COMING TO SAVE THE MOTHAFUCKING DAY YEAH. FUCK YOU BRITAIN WE GOT A FOOT FETISH AND WE AINT AFRAID TO ADMIT SO EAT IRAQI DICKS

JD November 19, 2015 at 2:05 pm

And nobody’s complaining about the fact that the smelly English limeys are driving on the left?

Anonymous December 9, 2015 at 11:23 pm

I’m from the USA myself, and I admit that most of the people here are obese idiots. But apart from that thought a lot of people are stupid here, and some are really fucking childish too. Yes, i agree we should change to the metric system, but when you start thinking you realize how much money that would be, it’s just a kind of stupid thing to do. All the road signs that say something like “San Francisco, one mile ahead” or something similar. If only the USA could’ve started before. And i do respect some others ideas, I just think it’s not worth it.

Jorden December 11, 2015 at 7:59 am

I am a American and metric is used in school and in scientific thing also products are packaged in metric containers labeled in both metric and American units

Monty burns December 20, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Well there are more for sure besides those three. First England really not just metric. They still use the stone for body weight all road signs are in miles and try ordering a liter of beer in a pub that’s still a pint ( milk and cider too). The country of Belize still uses the imperial system as well. So there are two more countries not on that list. Makes you wonder about the original writer and the lemmings who just follow along.
Monty

Monty burns is a retarded cunt January 3, 2016 at 9:55 am

Monty you dense fuck, It meant the official unit of measurement. We order a pint of beer in new zealand as well, but if you asked me what a foot was i would point down.