Happy 51st Birthday, Siouxsie Sioux!

by Joey deVilla on May 27, 2008

Siouxsie Sioux
Siouxsie Sioux.

Yet another sign I’m getting old: an alt-rock icon from my teen years turned 51 today — Susan Janet Ballion, better known to the world as Siouxsie Sioux (pronounced “Suzie Sue”). She and her band, Siouxsie the Banshees, were a mainstay of my music collection, and if you were a regular at Clark Hall Pub (the engineering pub at Crazy Go Nuts University) during my 1989 – 1994 DJ run, you’d probably hear one of the singles during my alt-rock sets. Somewhere in my parents’ basement is a near-complete collection of Siouxsie and the Banshees vinyl LPs; I’ll have to dig them up sometime.

In her honour, here are some Siouxsie and the Banshees videos for your enjoyment. Happy birthday, Siouxsie!

Here’s Hong Kong Garden by Siouxie and the Banshees, from 1978:

And now, some Siouxsie and the Banshees numbers from my teen years, the eighties. I’ll start with Christine from 1980:

Here’s Cities in Dust, from 1985:

Here’s their 1983 cover of Dear Prudence, which made it to a number of my mix tapes:

I’d be remiss if I didn’t show you the video for the one Siouxsie and the Banshees number that featured an accordion (or at least a very well-synthesized accordion): Peek-a-Boo, from 1988…

And finally, here’s Kiss Them for Me, from 1991, the Lollapalooza era:

AmyOops May 27, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Wow I feel old too now.
Yikes.

Stella May 28, 2008 at 7:17 pm

It was Neil Finn (Crowded House, Split Enz) and Bruce Cockburn’s birthday yesterday as well!

Stasia June 5, 2008 at 9:40 pm

ooo siouxie. we are old. i just got bunnymen tix at radio city with a full orchestra. i am excited to be able to sit for a show! ack!

Richard Herbert October 13, 2009 at 10:04 pm

jose luis November 3, 2009 at 8:43 pm

AMO A SIOUXSIE CRECI CON SU MUSICA GRACIAS SIOUXSIE POR HACERME PASAR MOMENTOS FELICES CON TU MUSICA Y SALUDOS A TODOS LOS GOTICOS DEL MUNDO

Tina Morgan November 8, 2009 at 3:29 pm

OMG!!! I soooooooo luved this era and she was a true icon. I remember dyeing my hair, crimping it and getting it shaved up the sides just like hers and I thought I rocked!! Good times!!!

Italian translation December 18, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I remember the Hong Kong Garden tour when they played with the Human League and Spiz Energy before the Human League were well known. That was about the time of The Scream and The HL were doing Being Boiled of something similar.

I also saw Siouxsie and The Banshees when they were on tour with The Cure at Hemel. It might of been called The Icons tour which I beleive was very influentual on the Goth scene. I think that the Banchees only played for about 20 minutes due to crowd fighting. The Cure weren’t well know at the time. I remember watching the Cure for their first 2 numbers and thinking, what a bunch of posers and then nipping back into the bar. After the gig the fighting continued and when the police arrived about 20 of us piled into a small minibus. There were bodies on top of bodies as we slowly crawled home back down the motorway.

j codina January 2, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Ah……..punk girls with nasty good looks, I remember Cities in Dust played so loud the guy next door had to come over to get me to tape it for him!!! Cheers.

Glenn G. September 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Anyone have info. on the possibility of when she might be touring again. Just as much as I love her music, she is amazing live. I live in NYC. Cheers.

John October 25, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I just listened to Siouxsie and the Banshees for the first time last week.
And I’m an instant fan!
She doesn’t look bad for someone her age, does she?

jrkizmiaz belgium January 16, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Siouxsie Sioux will go down in history as one of the most beautiful entertainers of the 20th century. I’m so glad she was taken seriously as a singer and artist. LOve your tempting voice !!My Idol at my first breath !! Ever since !! xx

joaquim April 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Eu amo siouxsie. Tive um sonho uma vez que a via em um pub me dando
conselhos, eu era o passaro cinza.
Muitas emoçoes vivi com suas musicas, sem duvida o simbolo de uma era…
Do menino triste da America do sul!

Rich May 24, 2011 at 11:18 am

Wow she is looking good for 51!

bless her and the banshees!

Lady der der and fucking rihanna dont come close to her

jose carlos vieira alves June 29, 2011 at 6:44 am

Minha eterna banda favorita,muito obrigado Sioux por tantos momentos maravilhosos.