Quackery in the ‘Hood

by Joey deVilla on April 30, 2008

Here’s a photo I’ve been meaning to take for a while: it’s a poster of the “ionCleanse” treatment being offered at a chiropractor’s office not far from my house. The treatment is purported to remove toxins from the body through the feet:

Poster for “Ioncleanse” treatment that purports to remove toxins from the body through your feet.

I’d love to see this device in action. I want to know how it muddies up your foot bath to make it appear as if “toxins” are being excreted from your feet. I also want to know what the brown goop is. Clay? Paint? Nestle Quik?

Farhan Thawar April 30, 2008 at 10:15 pm

The murky waters don’t sell me

Gianni Chiappetta April 30, 2008 at 10:33 pm

Haha, that reminds me of this “intestine cleansing” product. Just makes me wonder what kind of crap they put into you to make this stuff come out.

Guy on a cleanse April 30, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Not everything is fake. I have actually had a couple of these and they do work and I have felt better after. No scam here. Usually sets you back anywhere from $40 – 60 bucks per session.

Pete Forde May 1, 2008 at 12:56 am

Seeing as I am currently suffering from acute gout, I am tempted to book myself an appointment and bring my camera.

This is totally why fundable.org was created!

Apparently they sell the device for $3500! It *must* be good.

Pete Forde May 1, 2008 at 1:05 am
yipyip May 1, 2008 at 10:20 am

I think I read somewhere that the discoloration is rust.

darryl May 1, 2008 at 10:44 am
Joey deVilla May 1, 2008 at 10:48 am

@Guy on a cleanse: I happen to be the owner of a nice bridge in Brooklyn that I’m looking to sell for a very reasonable price that will make you the envy of all New Yorkers! If you can meet me at my office with a blank cheque and a copy of the key to your house, I can make this bridge yours this afternoon.

Jeremy Wright May 1, 2008 at 10:57 am

My mother in law’s job is to take this device around and do this procedure for people. It’s her entire business. And her clients (100 of them) swear by it.

I’ve never had it (as the idea of electricity shooting around my feet somehow seems… wrong), but my wife swears by it.

And, yeah, I’ve seen goop, parasites and even wormy things come out of people’s feet.

isaac May 30, 2008 at 5:34 pm

I have to be honest, when I first saw that I thought “blades in the bottom, or what? Why is that guy’s feet bleeding?”

Peter McGrath June 25, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Hi all – I thought I’d chime in here. I at first thought these machines were bogue as well; however, after several recommendations made by doctor (and my wife) I decided to give it a whirl. I was skeptical at first but immediately after my first session (approximately 15 minutes) I noticed an instant burst in energy. Thinking this might be just the reaction my wife wanted to see, I decided to give it another whirl. After only two session I noticed pain in my neck and back was gone, I no longer felt tired after a days work, and the arthritis in my knees appeared to be ‘better’.

My wife and I no own of these units and the results habe truly been remarkable. Funny enough we bought it from the same people who had the ad above (www.hl4y.com…they just had the best bang for the buck and are Canadian).

If you have any questions about these machines drop me an email.

Cheers.

Pete

JakesOnAPlane March 21, 2012 at 1:36 am

Saw almost exactly the same advert (just some different writing – same pic) at a beauty clinic in Perth.

It was being offered alongside the notorious quackery that is Reflexology, so that probably tells you everything you need to know…